MEGASQUIRT!! PT. 1

After doing my clutch and fixing the brakes, I decided to take on installing Megasquirt.* I’ve been looking to install megasquirt since MS1 V.3 came out as it was simple to install and a way to get into tuning. DIY!  Initially, I only wanted it for my N/A L28 before the turbo swap in order to get my feet wet before tuning for a turbo but there is a lot of support online. “Baby Steps”

Megasquirt begin 2 (2)

BACK AGAIN -_-

Because I swapped to the OE turbo electronics not too long ago most of the wiring was straight forward to remove. I wanted to make a new wiring harness, use the DIYautotune relay board, use the 280zxt dizzy, use the stock fuel injectors, and use the stock J-Pipe. The goal of the swap and install as a whole was to run on par or better than the stock electronics with the tunability that megasquirt allows. HP goals: ~225-250hp.

I started with the relay board, the Megasquirt MS1 v3 ecu, new 280zxt injectors, a 240sx tps, GM IAT and CLT sensors, and an Innovate WB02. My WB02 was already installed but i did need to rewire and change the output readings. More on that later.

 

wires 3

I started with the TPS. The 240sx TPS when put on a 280zxt TB doesn’t quite reach the mounting holes on the TB. I made an extension bracket out of the backing from an old 280zxt tps and made sure the TB butterfly arm turned the 240sx TPS.

 

My injectors came with new clips so I made a new harness for it. I was also able to get a barb-style pallnet fuel rail which really cleans up the engine bay compared to the trumpet looking stock one.

wires 4

 

Fuel rail mock up

The injector harness was combined with the CLT and the Distributor trigger wires. I routed the IAT, coil, WB02 signal and TPS connections on a separate branch of the harness.

 

wires 5 (2)

harness routing 3

I had the an IAT bung and 1 ⅛”  BOV adapter tube welded on. I have a stock plastic  EVO 9 BOV on there. The stock recirculation system was removed and the manifold was cleaned up.

 

J-pipe 3

I rewired the WB02 and all of my gauges. When I first put them in, it was done in a rush. The WB02’s output had to get changed for both its output wires. It was reading lambada rather than in 0.00 – 20.0 AFR like it was set up in Megasquirt or on my Innovate G3 gauge. I put a gauge/ WB02 relay board in the driver footwell where the original ECU was.

wire mess

Realy board gauges

 I put the Megasquirt relay board in the passenger footwell and the Megasquirt ECU in the glove box. There’s enough slack if either need to be moved in the future.  

relay board loc

 

Relay board finished

After everything was cleaned and hooked up, I gave it a quick rundown to make sure my circuits were working and continuity was where I needed it. Gave a turn to ACC with the key and the ECU lit up. Stage 1 was tedious but finished. The real headache will be stage 2, getting it started and running properly.

Installed 4

Installed 2

Almost cinched up

Gauge loc

lights at the end of a tunnel!!

Part 2 Soon!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s