Chevette budget suspension set up

After some researching, measuring, and theory crafting, I’ve put together what I think is a nice budget suspension set up for the Chevrolet Chevette. I’m not sure If it will work for all the variations of the T-Body but it should be applicable to them all. Upon tearing it apart, I found that my car had cut springs(and a set of blown shocks). After installing the set up, it was the same height as it was before. I would say it would lower a stock Chevette maybe 1.5″ to 2″. Do note this is a budget set up. You can always improve/get better parts than what I have. anyways..

Front Set up:

Bilstein AK5555F Street Stock Shock
– W/ proper lower bushing installed. $92 something each off amazon.

It seemed like these shocks had the most reasonable valving of the “AK” series of shocks from Bilstein and their sizes matched my set up. Length can be an issue without lowering ball joints. Stock:15″ Bilstein: 13″

Springs: Monza front Springs  Moog 6490 Coil Spring Set w/ 2 coils cut (estimated spring rate: 7 kg/mm). These go for about ~$50 off Amazon. Super cheap. I think they are off of monte carlo..

Rodney Dickman Fiero 1″ lowering ball joints – These allowed me to use the Bilstein shocks because it pushed the upper control arms up by one more inch. Stock Shock :15″ // Bilstein + Lowering Ball Joints: 14″  Plus, without the lowering ball joint my front height would be too high for the rear so another coil would have to be cut or a different spring would have to be used.

Slotted upper ball joints – For camber. – Gives camber adjustment to correct the suspension from the lowering ball joints. Modifications could be made for more static camber.

Prothane Fiero front urethane bushing kit. (not installed) – It looked like it would fit.

Rear set up:

Shocks: 1976 Ford Thunderbird rear KYB Gas adjust. KYB KG5519 Gas Shock ~$75 for both.

Springs: Chevette front springs. 2 coils cut. (estimated rate: 5 kg/mm) – a better spring could easily be used.

S10 19mm sway bar. W/ custom mounts put in.

UMI Monza adjustable rear panhandle par. (Not installed. It’s 3 inches too long)

Total: Roughly $350 in parts.

Notes: An additional coil can be cut from the front and proper springs + camaro agx or qa1 shocks in the rear would give you another .5″ or so but can get you into the F: 8 kg/mm  R: 6kg/mm range.

Front shock mounts need to be changed and springs needed caressing to fit properly. Upper control arms need to be modified for more camber out of the slotted ball joints. Lower control arm, where the ball joint is, needed to be ground down to clear the brake disk during suspension movement. GM ball joint separator tool highly recommended.

Rear sway bar mounted like the camaro. Sway bar link mounts were fabricated and Nissan Quest front sway bar links were used. Like $18 on Amazon. The difference was huge though! The Sway bar, however, may be too large for the car/my set up. Thunderbird Rear shocks fit on the stock cantilevers that were already on the axle.

Overall the set up was phenomenally good compared to the cut spring/blown shock set up in the car before. The suspension inspired a lot more confidence during braking, and initiating turns.

Stay tuned for a August 16th Reno drift event update. The suspension was definitely tested there 🙂

Advertisements

2 comments

  1. I think this is among the most significant information foor me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The site stylee is ideal,
    the articles is really niuce : D. Good job, cheers

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s