L28et swap part II *warning pic intese*

After opening the engine and seeing the great shape the engine was in, I prepped the turbo and exhaust manifold. I coated the manifold in high temp paint and wrapped it in exhaust wrap in order to keep engine bay temps down. I read that the wraps can trap moisture and cause the manifolds to rust prematurely so I did a couple of coats in a high-temp paint.

Image

3 Coats of High-temp Paint

Image

Cooking the paint on. 2 heat cycles. Shake and Bake

I also tapped the 6th Cylinder runner on the manifold for an egt probe.

Image

Drill and tap dat

Image

Simple, clean, and ready to go

Wrap her up!

Image

Not perfect but every little bit helps.

Image

Looking warm and cozy

I noticed that the turbo was not stock because it was watercooled. It is probably a z31 turbo. The previous owner did an effective but ugly plumbing job for the water.  Plumbing the turbo was definitely a challenge to keep functional and aesthetically pleasing. I bought a turbo blanket which is one of the more effective ways to keep temps down in turbocharged cars. Infared Engine Bay Tests @ nasoic.com

Image

Z31 snail?

Image

Steampunk brass fittings. Yep I reused them for the return.

Before removing the old engine, I layed out the turbo wiring harness, removed all of the tape covering, checked wires for frays or bad connections, rerouted the wires a litte, and studied the diagrams. The harness I had was already modified for installation. I modified some of it the connections. Wired new fusible links to actual fuses, wired in fuel pump relay, wired in start and ignition on for the ecu and redid the ignition protion of the harness. Because I had no stock turbo coil/ignitor, I had to do the hei swap as per Zdriver Thread

Coil+HEI

the spark

Despite it not working on the N/A engine, it worked fine this time around.

Image

Added connection from P.O. Connects to stock EFI ecu connection. Fuel pump wire also present.

Image

Extended AFM wires. Not needed in my situation but I had to make sure the connections were good

Image

Fusible Link and Relay shown. Both were removed and rewired to my liking.

Image

TPS connection. P.O. was having problems? Tested to make sure connections were good.

Image

Stretched out and Labeled

Image

Lets play operation!

With all that done and with other parts ordered. I was ready to yank the old heart and put in a new one.

Image

Almost Beating.

Until next update!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s