When you start your Z do you get a clicking noise coming from your starter but the car doesn’t start? This is the simple mod that will fix that. The clicking noise is from the starter activating but not getting enough juice to spin. This can be from old wires or corroded connections. The Z’s used the ignition switch to activate the solenoid for the starter. Using the relay mod will ensure that the solenoid gets a solid 12v every time the key is turned. I found this mod on XENONS30(John Walker) and I give him credit for most of the thinking on this project. Check out his site.This mod can be done for less than $5. Besides the relay, I had most of the materials laying around.
The centerpiece of this mod is a 4 or 5 prong relay. I bought a pack of 5 30/40 amp 5 prong relays off of eBay.
- 30/40 amp relay
- 14 gauge wire
- Electrical connectors(I used an assorted kit)
- Wire cutters/stripper
- Electrical tape
- Hand drawn Wiring Schematic(made connections easy)
- Disconnect the battery
- Find a good mounting place for the relay.
- Run a 14 gauge wire from the (+) side of the battery to the “87” connection on the relay.
- Run a 14 gauge wire from the solenoid to the “30” connection on the relay.
- Run a 14 gauge wire from the wire that originally was connected to the solenoid to the “86” connection on the relay. This wire is to the ignition switch.
- Finally, run a 14 gauge wire from the “85” connection to a good ground.
- Tidy things up. Re-connect your battery and start it up!
Here’s a close up of my connections at the solenoid and ignition switch:
This mod has been great for me. The Z started up instantly and has been doing so since I did this mod!